Pastry Chef Tip #14 ~ Scoop it!
Everyone has their favorite cookie scoop, but did you realize there's a number INSIDE on the spring-loaded arm of the scoop?
What's the significance of the number and how will it revolutionize your baking?
- The LARGER the number the smaller the scoop. (#100 is smaller than a #20)
- Scoops can be used for cookie dough, cupcakes, cheesecake, muffins, ice cream, truffles, etc. ANYTHING that requires uniformity of size.
- Professional grade scoopers used in commercial kitchens are color-coded by size to make grabbing the right one foolproof.
- Using a scoop will ensure consistency in size of your product. Various sized products will require different baking times. (That's frustrating if they are all on the same pan, sheet or mold.)
- There are MANY different sizes, but you find your favorites. (I have 5 different sizes.)
- #20 scoop is the most common for cupcakes, muffins, and cakelettes.